Cambridgeshire Sustainable Travel Alliance has been founded by three organisations – Cambridge Living Streets, Camcycle and Cambridge Area Bus Users – which campaign for better walking, cycling and public transport respectively. We support the principle of a Sustainable Travel Zone for Cambridge and believe that the funding and opportunity presented by the Greater Cambridge Partnership offers a unique moment to reshape the city and wider county around the needs of its people.
We are a gathering together a growing movement of local and national organisations who believe that the time has come to transform transport in Cambridgeshire. Find out more on our Alliance members’ page.
To unite and inspire people in Cambridgeshire working for a transport network that protects our future and offers genuine choice.
A thriving region of opportunity and inclusion where people can get to where they want to be safely, easily and affordably. Places should be designed around people and streets organised in line with the hierarchy of road users.
We think transport should be:
- Places should be designed around safe, attractive walking, cycling and public transport networks that make sustainable travel a convenient and reliable choice.
- Stress-free bus tickets and timetabling, high-quality secure cycle parking and an expanded choice of shared transport should make it easy to switch between sustainable modes.
- All journeys should start and be linked with good pedestrian infrastructure.
- Transport networks should provide people with the freedom and independence to get to where they want to be.
- Transport choices should not be inhibited by characteristics such as age, income, background or disability.
- Everyone should be able to choose transport options that allow them to stay healthy and active.
- There is no safe level of air pollution and transport solutions should aim to rapidly reduce current levels, particularly in the most badly-affected areas.
- Authorities should work to create places that are promote healthy lives for everyone with clean air, well-maintained surfaces and access to green space.
- It should be easy and safe to walk or cycle to school whether you live in a village or a city suburb.
- Cycleways and footpaths should be coherent, direct, safe, comfortable and attractive on both residential streets and rural routes.
- There should be a good bus service whether you live in the north of the county or the south.
- People should be able to live enjoyable, rewarding lives whether or not they have access to a car.
FIT FOR THE FUTURE
- Travel choices should protect the lives of others and the precious world we live in
- Transport networks should help people live the lives they dream of: helping young people broaden their horizons and keeping older people connected and independent.
- Places and transport should be built for a changing world: addressing and adapting to climate change, and designed flexibly around the lives and jobs of the future.